The kitchen is one of the most used - and highly important - rooms in a house. Everyone visits the kitchen multiple times a day, and the overall safety and security when it comes to plumbing and electrical is paramount.
Homeowners can make a number of common mistakes while in the kitchen, all of which could lead to costly repair bills or more serious threats. A property inspection is a crucial step to a well-maintained kitchen, so residents can continue to live and eat in comfort.
Kitchen mistakes that may turn expensive
Not every mistake in the kitchen becomes a costly repair bill. In fact, a number of them just result in a poorly-prepared meal. However, homeowners have a tendency to make common mistakes while cooking and working that might result in a phone call to a plumber.
A home inspection can help identify problem areas inside a kitchen, such as bad electrical or faulty plumbing. People should also be cautious about how they treat those critical systems as well, so the problems don't get complicated.
For example, homeowners shouldn't cram every bit of trash down the garbage disposal, according to Popular Mechanics. While the idea of a disposal may tempt some to treat it like a compactor. In reality, this device isn't made for anything and everything left over from a meal. Watermelon rinds, potato peels and even pumpkins are all frequently shoved into the disposal - and with obvious, negative results. The blades on a disposal can become damaged and stop altogether, which is an unnecessary repair bill.
However, not every problem can be the result of the homeowner. Installation of a garbage disposal could be performed incorrectly. A property inspection can spot problems from faulty repairs or other improvement projects gone wrong, possibly saving a lot of money on bills.
In addition, the pipes inside a house could become seriously damaged if homeowners pour construction materials down the drains after a successful home renovation, the news source noted. Items like paint, joint compound or other liquids can wreak havoc when dumped into a sink.
"Most of the time, the liquid goes down the drain and the solids stay behind," Joseph Albergo, a professional plumber, told the news source. "You're not going to get that out with a drain cleaner."
Wiring faults that could become dangerous
The electrical system is a very important component throughout an entire house, but especially so in places like the kitchen and bathroom where water comes into play. A home inspection can point out where wiring is in poor shape, as well as other concerns.
Older homes can be particularly vulnerable, according to Networx.com. Plumbing and electrical systems typically have seen much better days in decades-old houses. A property inspection is a must before buying, or if it has been a while since everything has been looked over.
Signs that problems may be forming include dimming lights, power shortages and outlets that don't work, the news source noted. In a kitchen, if a homeowner plugs in too many appliances and the energy starts to go - that may be a clear sign that wiring problems are lurking beneath the surface. Outlets in this room and the bathroom should be ground fault circuit interrupt circuits, which is needed to be up to code and for safety.
Overall, the kitchen can either be a place of enjoyment and comfort, or a location of a number of serious house hazards. Regardless of whether or not any problems have shown themselves yet, a homeowner should stay on top of regular maintenance and inspections - just to be safe.